Friday, January 15, 2010

Calvary Outfitters Year End Review because I was too lazy to post about our last two GREAT meetings.

OK, I am a loser. We had TWO great meetings that I have not reported on...no excuse, just didn't do it - let life get in the way...

ANYWAY! For our October meeting our own Bill Brison brought us an outstanding presentation on Fly tying along with several resources and examples of flies that not only he has tied but also tied by some of the best tiers in the world - seriously. It reminded me of a Nature photography workshop I went to many years ago that inspired me so much I became a little bit obsessed with Nature photography (OK, if you asked my wife she would probably change the "little bit" part) and what you could do with a camera - to the point that a few years later I was doing shows and seminars and whatnot. Now, while I haven't gotten quite that bad, I do find myself: 1) tying more and 2) being more critical of my flies.

If Bill will graciously agree we'll have him back and more involved in the tying portion of our meetings.

Then in November we had Captain Mark Roberts present his work on fishing tandem rigs. Now, I need to say a couple of things here. First, for me, a tandem rig means more tangles and wind-knots but Mark can seriously fish these. Secondly, Mark introduced me to several more options of tandem rigs that I wasn't familiar with and he, learning is a lot of what are meeting have been about. Our thanks to Captain Mark and I hope his boat lands many fish today on the Caney.

We cancelled our December meeting - too much too close to Christmas for too many

Now, about 2010. Our next meeting will be Thursday January 28th at 7:00 pm. This year we are going to focus a little less on presentations and classes and a little more on that fishing stuff we all love. We're going to tie more, talk about fishing more and hopefully actually fish more - together. Happy New Year! See you on the river.

No comments: